Counting my blessings...

This past week for the first time I experienced what it was like to have my very own very sick child. It broke my heart every day that I could not fix her, take away the pain, take away the misery. I'd have taken it all if it had meant she would be her normal playful self. In the two years that I worked in pediatrics I saw a lot. The good, bad and the ugly as far as parenting goes and as far as sick kids goes. There is one day that stands out in my mind long before I had my own kids that I remember thinking, damn, this mom is amazing...no way could I do that. Things change. Still to this day when I hear the song by Natasha Bedingfield called Pocket Full of Sunshine I feel what I felt while me and two of my friends/coworkers held down a severely dehydrated toddler trying to stick an IV in her severely dry veins. The mom acted as if we weren't there doing anything to her child, she just played that song over and over and sang to her daughter despite her cries. Oh me. My heart. This all lead me to thinking about the parents who have dealt with or are currently dealing with far far worse. I saw it all the time, how could I forget.
I just read a blog post by a woman who lost one of her children to cancer, whose husband left her and her daughter, and who survived a tornado tonight with that daughter. Puts me right back in my place.  My daughter finally started feeling better and playing today. Blessed am I. Every day. I have no issue with the people who choose to say daily for the month of Thanksgiving what they are thankful for, I think it's great, but what I also think we should remember is that there is always, always something to be thankful for. We are all so busy and so consumed with our own problems that it takes a reminder of a special month or someone else's misfortune to remind us to slow down and just be thankful.

Well I started this post last night and any further words fail me. After reading about yet another child abuse case where the state chose to give an innocent, already abused baby back to the family and ultimately it's death, I have to say I am more appalled than ever. I could go on and on, it just makes me sad. 
Hug your babies tight. I know I always do. 

Comments

Popular Posts