You're so vain ....

How do you find the motivation day in and day out to be a better you? It's hard. I think best about going on a diet when I just stuffed myself full of pizza. I think about how badly I need to make myself go to the gym when I'm laying on the couch with no intentions of moving, and of course I regret not going when I'm laying in bed that night. It's true though that the more you do the healthy thing, the more you want the healthy thing. I don't do well if I set myself unattainable goals, that's for sure. Small goals, I can do. I need to get back on track (and I need to stop saying that). I think I've started my week out right though.  

So I was thinking about what it means to be vain. At what point is it self improvement vs compulsion to want to look a certain way. I started thinking this when I was asked if I had the money, how far would I go. Sadly, I can admit...pretty far. I love to pamper girly style more than I like material things. I love pedicures and getting my hair done and I have had cosmetic treatments. I personally think there is absolutely nothing wrong with plastic surgery if it makes you feel good/boosts your self esteem as long as you don't go making yourself look like Michael Jackson. Plus nowadays there are lots of low invasive procedures that can help you out a little bit. I'm not talking about this weeks big topic of what Hollywood has defined as beautiful- I wouldn't want to look fake. You would probably be surprised to know how many people have had something done in the name of self improvement (and I say ain't nothin wrong with that). I'm still a fan of putting in the work at the gym too. Endorphins make you happy. But all of these things should only be done for you, because you want to and not for anyone else. It seems like everything is a competition these days- I thought that most of that would end as an adult but it's just as bad as high school. People even try to one up how tired you are, "no I got less sleep". Who cares? We're all tired here. 

It's November. Please, ladies, for the love of womanhood, do not partake in no shave November. High fives for men with beards, no five for women with hairy legs, pits or whatnot...to each his own. Burn your bra if you must but keep your razor. Heads up- laser hair removal is a beautiful thing. A beautiful, way too expensive, thing. 

Comments

Popular Posts