Bragging rights

I've read a lot of things lately that have got me to thinking about this. Plus my different friends in all different walks of life have gotten me thinking about this. Screw the Internet!
 I love the Internet (obviously) because it entertains me. But there are so many problems with it. One big one is that everyone compares their lives to everyone else's and everyone else's is better and more fabulous, of course. Thanks Facebook. I can't imagine being in high school in the days of Facebook but I'm going to talk about us older folks.
Ever heard of a humble brag? Humble braggers are the worst and most entertaining at the same time. 
For example: "I didn't even put makeup on today but at least five people told me I was beautiful, they must be crazy lol" or a #nomakeup with a lovely picture (where you probably really are wearing makeup but that's not the point). We all know these people in real life. I secretly love them. So entertaining. 
I digress. What I really want to talk about is how other people's awesome lives make you feel bad about yourself. Because they aren't really that fabulous are they? Probably not...but maybe so. And good for them if they are. All you should do is set goals for yourself too, not compare yourself to someone else. Easier said than done. Jealousy is such a bitch. 
When you have kids, everyone that doesn't is traveling to exotic places with loads of money. When you don't have kids, maybe that's really what you want so you scroll and that is all you see. To the single person, all they want is what their married friends have and they feel like they are being left behind. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors, nothing is a "perfect" as it seems. Society and the Internet put so much pressure on people, it's ridiculous really. Be you, do your thing. Times are changing- the generations before us may be stuck on what the societal norms are and should be, but that doesn't mean we have to give in to them. 
This past weekend I said "are my dreams and aspirations too big" and the response I got "What? To change the world? Nah" ..... That may sound like a humble brag (ha) but my point is, do more & be more and be verbal about what you want in this one life and other people around you will know too. If you don't have kids yet and you feel like that is all people talk about with you/put pressure on you to get married and have kids knowing that is not where you are in your life right now that is called negativity. Get it out of your life. 
I feel like a crazy person (I know what you are thinking) and I probably am because I've been thinking maybe I'll go back to school. And I am someone who hated school with a fiery passion. But I also want to push myself, outside of my comfort zone. Do more, be more. 
And a final thought, be grateful and humble. I joke and in a way complain about my life as a mother but I never forget for a moment how blessed I am to have those joys in my life and wouldn't trade it for the world or for anyone else's life. 

And read this:

Comments

Popular Posts