Bullying

I was easily inspired for this post. I saw on facebook that today is being called spirit day to recognize bullying. Bullying. The word itself elicits anger in me. For so many reasons it angers me but besides the obvious, it's personal. Now what you may be thinking is how was a tough cookie like me bullied without fighting back. Well, it happened. And it lasted too long. Even my brother wanted to get involved and he we didn't even get along then! And I still don't understand why. Isn't that what we all want to know, why? Now that I'm a parent and my main thoughts go to my poor mother.  My amazing mother. Because God help anyone who bullies my children. In my heart, I forgive those girls. It took a really long time but I had to let go of the weight of what I carried with me. You know who I do not forgive? The parents that knew it was happening. That is so unacceptable it still blows my mind. So that is what I want to bring to people's attention today. We are the adults, what kind of world are we living in that we could know our own children are bullying other kids and we turn the other way...or worse, we get in on the action. I'm not going to go into details but this happened ladies and gentlemen and it made me spend days in bed and trying to switch schools as well as contemplating not wanting to live on this planet anymore. Again, my poor mother. Maybe that is why I don't take no shit. :)

Back to serious...there is a strong link between bullying and suicide. According to the CDC suicide accounts for nearly 4,400 deaths in young people each year. I don't really want to get into the suicide talk though, I more just want to implore all of my adult friends to teach their kids to recognize bullying, to report it, to stand up for others. I still to this day will never forget the couple of people who stood up for me or at the least warned me about some things. I keep in touch with one of them on facebook to this day and she probably has no idea how much I love her for it, truly.
My friend Melissa posted last week about a group of high school girls sending the most vile, hateful messages to a girl with special needs. I was appalled while reading it. How can any person with a heart do this? Happens every day. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2455556/Shea-seizure-die-Special-needs-girl-tormented-bullies.html
Something else to think about- how social media is making it easier to gossip and bully. I mean, 7 year old kids have cell phones these days and rarely do you see a phone that doesn't have internet access. Online bullying is an increasing problem and I have a feeling it's only going to get worse. People easily hide behind their computers. It's too accessible.

"Teaching prejudice to a child is itself a form of bullying. You've got to be taught to hate"-Roger Ebert
"Bullying is a national epidemic"- Mackelmore
"By the time a child reaches out to an adult, the vast majority of kids have been dealing with the bullying and trying to ignore it for a long time"- Rosalind Wiseman
"Everyone in America likely has a bullying story, whether as a victim, bully, or as a witness."-Michael M. Honda

So this is for everyone, of every race, every sexual orientation, every religion. WE are not the judge. Be proactive in any way that you can to help stop bullying. Empower each other, empower your children, teach love not hate. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts